Resources for Artists
On this page we have compiled a selection of the best resources for disabled artists in Surrey, including where to find funding, training, support and facilities to create, showcase, perform and exhibit your work.
Business & Tax
Grants, Awards & Funding
Networks & Opportunities
Organisations & Facilities in Surrey
Finding a network can help you as an artist to access support, advice, mentoring and more.
Disability Arts Networks
- Join DAiSY~Chain, our very own Disabled Artist Network for artists in Surrey & the South East
- DANC (the Disabled Artists Networking Community for artists and those working in TV)
- Attitude Is Everything (a UK-wide network for disabled musicians)
- Outside In (a digital platform providing artist development, exhibitions, and training for artists experiencing significant barriers to the art world)
Artists Networks, Unions and Associations (Local and Nationally, not Disability-Focused)
- Surrey Artists Network (blog site for artists in and around Surrey)
- Artists’ Union England (for visual artists)
- Equity (for performers of all kinds, please see their website for eligibility criteria)
- The Association of Illustrators (for illustrators and commercial artists)
- Musicians’ Union (for musicians of all kinds)
- Rural Touring (individual artists memberships available)
- Creative Network run by Creative Lives (Free Events and Peer Support)
- UK Theatre (professional network for anyone working in the performing arts)
Mentoring, 121 Support and Check-ins
Business & Tax
Freelancing and Self-Employment
Find out more about setting up as a sole trader and paying tax as a self-employed freelancer.
- Read How to Register as Self Employed via Art Quest
- Find out about free tax support available to those on a low income and read the Taxpayers Guide via Taxaid
- Find out how to Set up as a Sole Trader via gov.uk
- Read how Artists and Creatives can Register themselves with HMRC via The Artists Development Company
- Find out about Access to Work support for Self-Employment via gov.uk
Learn how to budget for your projects.
Business Planning and Bid Writing Advice
Plan how to run your business and write compelling bids for grants and awards.
- Download DASH’S Top 10 Tips for Funding Applications via DASH Arts
- Download Business Plan Template from The Artists Development Company
- Read Start-up Guide for Early Career Artists via Arts Admin
- Read How To Write a Grant Proposal via Artists Network
- Watch How to Write a Kick Ass Application webinar (1 hour long video recording) from by Unlimited
Fees and Pricing Your Work
Find tools and guidance on pricing your work, and calculating fees for your services.
- Download the Exhibition Payment Guide via Paying Artists
- Read and Watch the Rates of Pay guidance from Artists’ Union England (1 minute long video)
- Read about Calculating a Fee via ArtsQuest
- Read How to price your artwork on Cass Art
- Read How Should I Price My Artworks on ArtFinder
- Read Live Engagement Rates of Pay via Musicians’ Union (MU)
- Read WGGB rates and agreements covering TV, theatre, audio and some areas of film via Writers’ Guild
- Use The Artist’s Fees Toolkit via A-N (free, requires registration)
- Use A toolkit for artists and freelancers when asked to work for nothing via Unlimited
Grants, Awards & Funding
Find funding opportunities for your work and projects.
- Read a guide to developing-creativity-and-culture/supporting-individual-creative-and-cultural-practitioners via Arts Council England (ACE)
- Apply for Developing your Creative Practice funding via Arts Council England (ACE)
- Comprehensive list of funding and resources https://jerwoodarts.org/resource/signpost-funding-and-resources-for-uk-based-artists-and-artist-led-organisations/ by Jerwood Arts
Awards and Grants for Artists
See what awards and grants are available for UK-based artists.
Funds for emergencies and artists in financial distress.
Networks and Opportunities
Online Presence and Self-Promotion
- Download Unlimited’s comprehensive PR and Marketing Resource for Artists via Shape Arts
- Read How to Market Yourself as an Artist via Artsy
- Read Promoting Your Art via Artquest
- Read The Best Ways for Singers and Musicians to Promote Their Acts and Music via Open Mic
Listings sites for jobs and open calls.
Working with Venues / Commissioners / Galleries
Access Riders and How to Write Them
Create an access guide to help you share what you need.
- Read the guide to Creating Your Own Access Rider from Unlimited
- Download the Access Rider Open Template from Disability Arts Online
- Listen to the Access Rider Open Template Audio by Alexandrina Hemsley/Yewande 103 via Soundcloud (10 minute long podcast)
- Download the Access Rider for Disabled Writers Guidance via The Writers Union
- Download the WGGB Writers Access Rider template via The Writers Union
- Download the Access Rider Template for Disabled Musicians from the Musicians’ Union (MU)
Disclosure of Disability and Your Rights
Find out what the law says, and how to approach disclosing your disability.
- Read Understanding disability discrimination: Disability discrimination at work by ACAS
- Read Disclosing an invisible disability via the Law Society
- Read Talking about Disability with New People via Scope
Find funding for your access needs.
Access to Work Funding
Guides to getting access to work funding.
Find out more about access support and what you can get funding for.
Organisations and Facilities in Surrey
Organisations in Surrey
Arts Organisations in Surrey.
Creative Office Space, Studios and Equipment Hire
- Creative Office Space at Tannery Studios
- Studio Space listings at Surrey Artists Network
- Paper Court Studio Space Hire
- The Boileroom Venue Hire
- River Wey Studios (photography/video studios)
- New House Art Space gallery and studios
- Leatherhead Community Hub art room hire
- The Hive Rooms rehearsal and recording studios