We are proud to offer a partnership commission with Watts Gallery, which aims to help artists foster connections with our cultural partners across the county of Surrey.
Founded in 1904, Watts Gallery Trust promotes the enjoyment and understanding of the art of George Frederic Watts (1817-904) and Mary Watts (1849-1938) who established a home and studios there in the 1890s. At the centre of all their work is a commitment to an Art for All ethos – opening up the collections and creative opportunities for everyone, regardless of background, disability or challenging circumstances.
For this commission, there are additional criteria. We are looking for an artist to:
- take inspiration from the Watts Gallery’s permanent exhibition of George Frederic Watts’s paintings.
The Watts Gallery have an accessible residency space and encourage applications from artists who would benefit from the use of such a space to support this award.
The commission offer includes:
- One-to-one time throughout the commissioning year with an artist mentor. Artists will be supported in their creative practice to develop a piece of work as part of the commission.
- A cash sum of £1000 to pay for materials and other expenses
From Watts Gallery:
- Free entry to Watts Gallery and access to site tours.
- Time with staff to find out more about the Watts Collection.
- 2 weeks use of the Watts Gallery Artist in Residence Studio
- Networking opportunities with other artists
We are looking for gifted, emerging artists who identify as disabled, who live, have a base, or work in Surrey, and who are keen for some support to progress their artistic development.
If you wish to apply please complete the short application form downloadable here:
DAiSY Commission Application Form (Word document)
If you prefer, record a video (no longer than 5 minutes).
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for applying is 9am on Friday 2nd July 2021, with successful applicants being contacted within two weeks.
If you have any questions or require further access support with the application please contact us at email@example.com, and we will get back to you via email or organise a time to call you.